A Climate control for Classrooms

UX/UI

Priva asked our team to re-design their room control system for the school environment. We modified the UX and UI, improving the usability in and adapting its functionality for teachers' and children's needs.
Usability analysis
UX & UI design
Functional prototyping
Company client
Group Master project
5 months
Evaluation
9 / 10
A Room control system for schools

UX/UI

Original Product
Our working prototype
The challenge

Redesigned for schools

The original product was designed for the office environment, so the first challenge was to understand how the needs of a classroom differ from an office complex.

Through exhaustive qualitative research and user-centered design, we made the UX simpler, more intuitive and more understandable for teachers and children. We adapted the product functionality to the new context while maintaining the same price range as the company requested.
Usability analysis

Problem statement    

We used several research methods, (cognitive walk-through, heuristic evaluation, usability test and interviews), to point out the strong and weak points of the original product.

We found inconsistency problems in buttons and feedback, in addition to experience problems such as the mismatch between user's high-quality expectations and the actual experience of use of the product. This mismatch was encouraged by the contrast between its clean and simple appearance and the misleading and limited functionality of the device.
Conceptualization

Interface explorations   


Each team member developed their personal proposal for the redesign, offering an array of solutions to the usability issues found in the previous analysis.

We tested 3 concepts with 9 participants, using rough 3D models made out of paper screens and foam.
Conceptualization and testing

Interface explorations 

Each team member developed his/her personal proposal for the redesign, offering an array of solutions to the usability issues found in the previous analysis. We tested 3 concepts with 9 participants, using 3D rough models made out of paper screens and foam.
Sandwich
Oreo
Donut

Insights synthesis

We used a Harris Profile Matrix to decide together how to merge the three concepts into a single design direction. Because we established the parameters and rate each concept as a group, the result was accepted and the disagreements ended.
Final concept

Wireframes 

and userflows 

We synthesized the insights of the initial tests into a single concept. The wire-frames were used for communicating the concept to the clients and also to guide the development of the functional prototype.
Interact with the Web prototype:
Back to top
Gives suggestion about the healthy and productive setting.
Turns red and blinks when the CO2 levels are too high, reminding the teacher to open the windows.
Progress bar in the blind menu, helping to set the desired blind height. With temperature and CO2 menus its color switches between green and red, alerting about unhealthy conditions.
Heating and cooling indicators
Each button selects one menu, displaying  only the information relevant to its functionality.
Set the value of the selected menu
Lights up when pro-mode is turned on. It allows to control each light or blind individually. When turned off all blinds/lights will be controlled at the same time.

Final User

    Interface

evaluation

Functional prototype

This project is an example of how programming skills can be leveraged in the design process. We were able to fine-tune the micro-interactions and feedback signals to almost product ready features, which increased the validity of our final test.

I have experience in programming with Framer (React) and Arduino, skills that I used during this project.
Backside of the prototype
Arduino
Gets the input from the user
React website
Displays the real-time data in the UI, simulated with in the phone screen
Fire base
The input data is received and stored in a Real-time Database
evaluation

Final test with teachers

Since new ideas were introduced when determining the final concept, these had to be tested to ensure that they are as easy to use for the end user as we, as a team, thought they would.

The final redesign concept proved to provide more meaningful and understandable information for teachers and children while keeping simple and intuitive navigation. We validated our design with 5 user tests with teachers, evaluating their responses over 6 design requirements defined in our design goal.
Expectation match experience
Intuitive
Input / Output
Guidance

Evaluation of the redesign requirements

We evaluated the final redesign based on the user test results, taking into account the 6 design requirements on the right.
Self-explanatory meaning
Simplicity
Feedback
© 2020 Pablo Ferreras